Friday, February 25, 2011









It's a lightweight boat, I suspect along the lines of the "Gloucester Gull", a Phil Bolger/Dynamite Payson design, but I don't have the lines handy. Anyhow, it can easily car-top on my small car and I think I can get away without having to buy a trailer.

I built a 16' Bank Dory from John Gardner's 'Dory Book' when I was 12 (well, it took me 6 years to complete, so really 18).


This was "Rosa", rigged for sail with steel plate centerboard:



This dory was built of 3/4" Phillipine Mahogany and she was very very heavy. Not a great sailboat due to the Bank Dory lines, but solid pulling boat. This boat definitely needed a trailer! I sold her off a few years ago as I just had too many toys to deal with, and very limited storage space.


The kids have always loved small boats, much more than our "big" boat "Spray". The opportunity to relate to the water is probably at the root of it.. they love to lean over the side and drag their hands along. Also, dad isn't occupied with ship traffic, engines, sails, etc.. a small pulling boat on a backwater or lake is just the ticket. I'm glad to have another smallboat.
















No comments: