Monday, February 28, 2011

Lightweight Dory (or Pepe's old boat)

Back in 1978-80, I was a kid in the Sea Scouts, ship #128 "Flying Cloud".  Our skipper owned and lent to the unit, a variety of his personal "smallboats".  A beautiful Lap Straked "Wherry" was by far the best boat we had access to.  The Wherry "Cirrus" was unfortunately, stolen from the pier in Aquatic Park, a devastating blow by far.  It was replaced with a lapstraked "Banks Dory" (named after the "Grand Banks", Nova Scotia).  While the Dory was no where as beautiful as the Wherry, it was simple to build, and I decided at that point, it was the boat for me.

Years later, I run into Pepe again, and he has an old boat for me he has no space for anymore.  This "Lightweight" dory is a simplified version of the Banks Dory, tailored for rowing.

Here is our first trial after an overhaul in the last 4 weeks.



No comments: